Solutions are in our nature
We are proud of our accomplishments over 50 years of environmental action
- Establishment of the New Brunswick Department of Environment by Premier Richard Hatfield
- Clean-up of the St. John River
- Enactment of the the Clean Water Act to guarantee safe drinking water
- Environmental regulation of salmon aquaculture
- Establishment of the Musquash Marine Protected Area under Canada’s Oceans Act
- Initiation of the Eastern Canadian Premiers and New England Governor’s Climate Action Plan
- Discovery and clean-up of lead smelter contamination in Belledune and wood preservative contamination in Newcastle
- Legal requirement for NB Power to supply 10% of its electricity from renewable sources
- Establishment of Canada’s first community supported agriculture (CSA) project in Keswick Ridge, New Brunswick
- Establishment of New Brunswick’s first farmers’ conservation club
- Creation of New Brunswick’s energy efficiency agency
- Campaigned to stop the building of a second nuclear power plant at Point Lepreau, end the spruce budworm spray program and establish protected wilderness areas in the Kennedy Lakes and the Christmas Mountains.
- Campaigned to secure a moratorium on hydraulic fracturing in New Brunswick to protect air and waterways.
- Campaigned for the creation of New Brunswick’s Climate Change Action Plan and establishment of the Climate Change Act.
Tip of the Hat Award
CCNB received the Tip of the Hat Award from Lorne Green’s New Wilderness television program for our work on groundwater pollution.
UN’s Global 500 Roll of Honour
On June 5th World Environment Day, CCNB was added to the UN’s Global 500 Roll of Honour for outstanding environmental achievements in a ceremony in Stockholm, Sweden.
Visionary Award/Orca Award
Marine Conservation Program Director Janice Harvey received the Gulf of Maine Council’s Visionary Award for her work as coordinator of the Bay of Fundy project. Janice Harvey received the Orca Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network.
Marine Science Advisor Inka Milewski received the Orca Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network.
Canadian Environmental Achievement Award
Policy Director David Coon received Canadian Geographic’s Canadian Environmental Achievement Award for his work on global warming.
Policy Director David Coon and Marine Science Advisor Inka Milewksi receive the Phoenix Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network for taking a direct hit in the face of corporate intimidation.
Activist of the Year Award/Gaia Award
The Council of Canadians’ Activist of the Year Award in recognition of forty years of successful campaigning to protect the air, land and water of New Brunswick.
Forest Campaigner Tracy Glynn receive the Gaia Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network for expeditiously advancing social and environmental justice by engaging people from across the province on environmental issues requiring immediate attention.
Freshwater Protection Coordinator Stephanie Merrill received the Gaia Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network for her dedicated efforts to protect New Brunswick communities from the damage from shale gas fracking.
Connected to the Community Award
CCNB and partner organizations received the Connected to the Community Award from the Canadian Wireless Telecommunications Association for their collaborative work creating the ecotourism app ExploreEcoNB.
Fundy Baykeeper and Marine Conservation Program Director Matt Abbott received the Gulf of Maine Council’s 2016 Visionary Award for his outstanding contributions toward protecting the health of the Gulf of Maine and Bay of Fundy.
T.B. ‘Happy’ Fraser Award
Fundy Baykeeper and Marine Conservation Program Director Matt Abbott received the T.B. ‘Happy’ Fraser Award from the Atlantic Salmon Federation for his outstanding contributions to the conservation of Atlantic Canada’s most iconic fish.
Executive Director Lois Corbett received the Phoenix Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network for outstanding dedication to advancing smart public policy and legislation.
CCNB received NB Power’s Legacy Award in recognition the organization’s long-standing commitment and contribution to energy efficiency in New Brunswick.
CCNB received the Environmental Award from the New Brunswick Environmental Network in recognition of the organization’s 50 years of environmental action and leadership in New Brunswick.